…and it isn’t pretty! This wonderful, new best friend of mine (said with MUCH sarcasm), Vertigo, has decided to take up permanent residence. At least it feels that way. I have been spinning, tilting, wobbling and stumbling for over 4 weeks now and there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight. In fact, at work I am now known as “Wall Banger”. Lovely, just lovely. I’ve been to the doctor several times, been prescribed various medications and still very little relief. Anxious to try to ease the symptoms as much as possible…cause let’s face it, while walking in a not-so-straight manner is quiet funny, driving in a not-so-straight line isn’t…I asked about dietary changes and such. Oh how I wish I had not asked the question! I was told to limit sodium…not so easy, but nothing I can’t handle…and CAFFEINE! Eeeeekkkk!
Forget that kicking the caffeine habit has been a goal for mine for, oh, let’s say…my entire adult life! But, man, I want to do it on my own terms. You know, ease into it…take it slow…limit myself to 2-3 servings a day…and then see how it goes before I cut consumption further. I don’t think that approach will work here. So I’ve resorted to weighing the pros and cons of each…here is my list…in no particular order!
Kick the Habit:
1. Healthier mind
2. Healthier body
3. Reduce symptoms of vertigo
4. Reduce PMS —Keith, if you are reading this, there is no truth to this claim. I will still need caffeine in abundant supply during THAT time of the month. *wink. wink.*
Keep the Habit:
1. I just LOVE the taste of an icy cold Diet Dr. Pepper.
2. I just love the taste and smell of a hot cup of coffe.
3. It’s still cold weather here and I can easily cover the bumps and bruises caused by running into walls, chairs, tables…for that matter, anything that gets in my way.
4. I haven’t had an accident driving so far…odds are I can keep it in a straight line if I just concentrate???
5. I will get headaches of an excrutiating magnitude without caffeine.
6. I will be grumpy.
7. I will feel lethargic.
8. I don’t want to quit!
After reviewing this list, I realized the reasons to keep the habit aren’t important enough to hang onto the habit. In fact, I think most will agree that I was “reaching” with several of my reasons. I think Keep the Habit reason number 8 is the root cause of reasons 1-4.
So, as of today, no more Diet Dr. Pepper. I did decide to give myself, and all those who come in contact with me, a break. I plan to have one cup of coffee a day for a little while. That should help with the withdrawal symptoms and keep me from becoming a certifiable maniacle witch. For whatever reason, I’m not as hooked on coffee and should be able to wean myself off of it quickly. But I miss my Diet Dr. Pepper. In fact, my mouth is watering at the mere mention of it. Just to let you know how much I love this stuff…I can tell you all the convenience stores between here and Atlanta (a 195 mile commute) that keep their coolers at the desired temperature to produce a wonderful icy treat. And it must, Must, MUST be in a bottle. Yeah, I know, I’m a beverage snob.
With much regret, here is to my health and well being…So Long, Farewell, Au Revoir, Sayonara…*sob*…goodbye old friend! Rest in peace.